US Dollar again in the ropes on Richmond Manufacturing miss


Most Recent Article:US Dollar continues to weaken on dovish Fed bets, quiet week ahead

  • The US Dollar retreats another leg lower.
  • Equity markets trade flat with US futures hesitant to continue the Christmas rally.
  • The DXY US Dollar Index trades near 101 and a breach could see an accelerated nosedive. 

The US Dollar (USD) is still facing selling pressure with markets currently tilting towards six rate cuts in 2024. Markets are fully ignoring the messages nearly every US Federal Reserve member brought in the aftermath of the last US Fed rate decision in December. It looks that six cuts are nearly fully priced in, which means the US Dollar weakness is runnign on a near empty gas tank. 

On the economic front, the Richmond Manufacturing data is a big miss on expectations. With a decline to -11, coming from -5, the Index is hitting the lowest level since June. This moves the US Dollar substantially weaker against most major peers. 

Daily digest Market Movers: Last few punches

  • The Redbook Index for this week went from 3.6% to 4.1%.
  • Richmond Fed Manufacturing Index for December drops substantially lower. The number heads from -5 to -11, where -7 was expected. 
  • The US Treasury will have some people coming into the office to allocate a 5-year Note in the market near 18:00 GMT.
  • Equities are very geographically divided this Wednesday: Asian equities are jumping higher and are booking over 1% gains in Japan and Chinas’ major indices. European equities look rather reluctant to take over the positive vibe out of Asia and are mildly in the green by less than 0.5%. US equities are slightly in the green in a very hesitant trading day. 
  • The CME Group’s FedWatch Tool shows that markets are pricing in an 85.5% chance that the Federal Reserve will keep interest rates unchanged at its January 31 meeting. Around 14.5% expect the first cut already to take place.
  • The benchmark 10-year US Treasury Note trades near 3.84%, the lowest level since summer.

US Dollar Index Technical Analysis: Richmond data does the trick

The US Dollar Index looks incapable of recovering soon from the current downturn since November. Traders should be warned that these days between Christmas and New Year usually exhibit thin liquidity and a low number of market participants being present in the markets. Should the US Dollar be able to hold the current position in the DXY, some recovery could be at hand once traders come back in January. 

First upside resistance to face is near 101.78 at the low of December 21st. Although a long way to go, it looks not unthinkable that the DXY might test the descending trend line near 103.00. Depending on the catalyst that fuels the recovery in the Greenback, the 200-day Simple Moving Average (SMA) near 103.45 is firm last resistance before having more upside. 

To the downside, the pivotal level at 101.70 – the low of August 4 and 10 – is vital to hold and could still see a close this week. Once broken, look for 100.82, which aligns with the bottoms from February and April. Should that level snap, nothing will stand in the way of DXY heading to the sub-100 region. 

Dot Plot FAQs

What is the Federal Reserve “Dot Plot”?

The “Dot Plot” is the popular name of the interest-rate projections by the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) of the US Federal Reserve (Fed), which implements monetary policy. These are published in the Summary of Economic Projections, a report in which FOMC members also release their individual projections on economic growth, the unemployment rate and inflation for the current year and the next few ones. The document consists of a chart plotting interest-rate projections, with each FOMC member’s forecast represented by a dot. The Fed also adds a table summarizing the range of forecasts and the median for each indicator. This makes it easier for market participants to see how policymakers expect the US economy to perform in the near, medium and long term.

When does the Federal Reserve publish the “Dot Plot”?

The US Federal Reserve publishes the “Dot Plot” once every other meeting, or in four of the eight yearly scheduled meetings. The Summary of Economic Projections report is published along with the monetary policy decision.

Why is the “Dot Plot” important for markets?

The “Dot Plot” gives a comprehensive insight into the expectations from Federal Reserve (Fed) policymakers. As projections reflect each official’s projection for interest rates at the end of each year, it is considered a key forward-looking indicator. By looking at the “Dot Plot” and comparing the data to current interest-rate levels, market participants can see where policymakers expect rates to head to and the overall direction of monetary policy. As projections are released quarterly, the “Dot Plot” is widely used as a guide to figure out the terminal rate and the possible timing of a policy pivot.

How does data in the “Dot Plot” affect the US Dollar?

The most market-moving data in the “Dot Plot” is the projection of the federal funds rate. Any change compared with previous projections is likely to influence the US Dollar (USD) valuation. Generally, if the “Dot Plot” shows that policymakers expect higher interest rates in the near term, this tends to be bullish for USD. Likewise, if projections point to lower rates ahead, the USD is likely to weaken.

Share: Feed news

Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of FXStreet nor its advertisers. The author will not be held responsible for information that is found at the end of links posted on this page.

If not otherwise explicitly mentioned in the body of the article, at the time of writing, the author has no position in any stock mentioned in this article and no business relationship with any company mentioned. The author has not received compensation for writing this article, other than from FXStreet.

FXStreet and the author do not provide personalized recommendations. The author makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or suitability of this information. FXStreet and the author will not be liable for any errors, omissions or any losses, injuries or damages arising from this information and its display or use. Errors and omissions excepted.

The author and FXStreet are not registered investment advisors and nothing in this article is intended to be investment advice.

Recommended content


Recommended content

Editors’ Picks

AUD/USD begins Thursday’s session flat ahead of RBA Hunter speech

AUD/USD begins Thursday’s session flat ahead of RBA Hunter speech

The Aussie Dollar tumbled more than 0.50% on Wednesday versus the Greenback amid elevated US Treasury yields, as another bond auction witnessed softer demand. The AUD/USD trades near 0.6608, almost flat as Thursday’s Asian session commences.

AUD/USD News

EUR/USD tumbles back to 1.08 region, investors turn to US GDP and PCE inflation

EUR/USD tumbles back to 1.08 region, investors turn to US GDP and PCE inflation

EUR/USD pulled back sharply on Wednesday, falling back to the 1.0800 handle after broad risk appetite evaporated. The pair is trading firmly into technical resistance as investors gear up for a batch of mid-tier European economic indicators on Thursday, followed by an update to US quarterly GDP growth.

EUR/USD News

Gold slumps amid strong US Dollar, high US Treasury yields

Gold slumps amid strong US Dollar, high US Treasury yields

Gold prices slump on Wednesday amid rising US Treasury yields, boosting demand for the Greenback due to hawkish comments by a Federal Reserve official. Consequently, sentiment shifted sour, the US Dollar climbed, and the XAU/USD is trading at $2,339.

Gold News

Ethereum sideways move persists, analyst says ETH ETF will only see 20% of Bitcoin flows

Ethereum sideways move persists, analyst says ETH ETF will only see 20% of Bitcoin flows

Ethereum sustained its sideways movement on Wednesday as Bloomberg analyst Eric Balchunas compared spot ETH ETFs to Silver ETFs, predicting that they will only see 20% of the flows recorded across Bitcoin ETFs.

Read more

Dow Jones Industrial Average sheds 400 points on Wednesday as risk aversion weighs

Dow Jones Industrial Average sheds 400 points on Wednesday as risk aversion weighs

The Dow Jones Industrial Average is broadly lower on Wednesday, shedding over 400 points and backsliding below 38,500.00. The major equity index is down nearly nine-tenths of a percent as investor sentiment sours.

Read more

Forex MAJORS

Cryptocurrencies

Signatures