Characteristics of Litecoin
Litecoin is an open-source cryptocurrency created on October 7, 2011. It emerged as an alternative to Bitcoin, improving some of its basic characteristics:
- First, it has a greater speed in the verification and processing of its blocks, which are carried out in 2.5 minutes while the time required by the Bitcoin is 10 minutes.
- Second, the Bitcoin will reach its total volume in 2140, when it will have a total of 21 million units. The Litecoin will have a maximum of 84 million units.
- Third, the Litecoin has a function that simplifies and reduces the energy necessary to perform the mining of the cryptocurrency called Scrypt proof of work.
Among the main similarities between Litecoin and Bitcoin::
- Both are based on the blockchain
- It allows a mining process
- The division of the main unit of both Litecoin and Bitcoin is 8 decimals.
- The difficulty of mining Bitcoin and Litecoin increases every 2016 blocks.