Market movers today

Market focus remains on the probability of forthcoming central bank easing with most prominently rates markets re-adjusting the probability mass between a 25bp (our eventual call) and a 50bp FOMC rate cut at the end of the month.

Today, our eyes will primarily be on Sweden and the Riksbank minutes set for release at 09:30 CEST. As the decision to leave the repo rate path was unanimous, it will be interesting to see how the board has interpreted and processed recent dovish signals from ECB and Fed. We would have assumed at least perma-dove Per Jansson to enter a reservation in light of recent financial developments, but not so. Swedish inflation (and inflation expectations) are still reasonably close to target, which might be one reason for the relative 'hawkishness' of the Riksbank despite looming rate cuts from both Fed and ECB. However, the Swedish economy is poorly insulated against a substantial global downturn and recent Riksbank communication (e.g. Ingves' press conference following the June-meeting) diverges from the ECB narrative, painting a much brighter picture of the global, and especially European, economy. We will therefore scrutinise the minutes for any arguments underpinning that divergence. 

In Norway , Norway Statistics publishes Q2 house prices this morning. However, given the close correlation to Real Estate Norway's monthly prints this release should not have any market impact. Overall, the housing market in Norway has been modestly on the rise in 2019 and recently stronger than pencilled in by Norges Bank. This in turn has supported the central bank's signal of a September rate hike, the third this year.

In the euro area, we get a further piece of the puzzle on where GDP growth will arrive in Q2 with the industrial production data for May . The April figures pointed to a weak start for the industrial sector into Q2 and country figures already released paint a mixed picture for May. We still think that the industrial sector will likely have returned as an outright drag on growth in Q2. We also get Chinese trade data for June . Although volatile on a monthly basis, markets will scrutinise these data for indications of the state of Chinese and global demand ahead of the trade truce reached at the end of June.

 

Selected market news

This morning most Asian equity indices are modestly higher despite trade war concerns resurfacing (see below) and US core CPI dampening speculations of a 50bp FOMC rate cut at the end of this month. 2Y swap rates have erased roughly half of the decline triggered by Fed Chair Powell's first part of his semi-annual policy testimony on Wednesday leaving a roughly 18% probability of a 50bp cut (82% for 25bp). While we ultimately expect a 25bp cut, we think it is fair that markets price a non-zero probability of a larger cut.

Late in yesterday's European session, US President Trump lashed out at China on Twitter for ' letting us down in that they have not been buying the agricultural products from our great Farmers that they said they would'. According to US officials, China promised to step up US farm product purchases at the G20 summit last month as an important part of securing the trade truce. Chinese state media, however, report that no official deal on farm products was reached at the summit. Meanwhile, the first high-level trade negotiations between China and the US re-started this week.

Download The Full Daily FX Market Commentary

This publication has been prepared by Danske Bank for information purposes only. It is not an offer or solicitation of any offer to purchase or sell any financial instrument. Whilst reasonable care has been taken to ensure that its contents are not untrue or misleading, no representation is made as to its accuracy or completeness and no liability is accepted for any loss arising from reliance on it. Danske Bank, its affiliates or staff, may perform services for, solicit business from, hold long or short positions in, or otherwise be interested in the investments (including derivatives), of any issuer mentioned herein. Danske Bank's research analysts are not permitted to invest in securities under coverage in their research sector.
This publication is not intended for private customers in the UK or any person in the US. Danske Bank A/S is regulated by the FSA for the conduct of designated investment business in the UK and is a member of the London Stock Exchange.
Copyright () Danske Bank A/S. All rights reserved. This publication is protected by copyright and may not be reproduced in whole or in part without permission.

Analysis feed

Latest Forex Analysis

Editors’ Picks

EUR/USD holds onto gains around 1.1150 amid Brexit, trade headlines

EUR/USD is trading around 1.1150, holding onto gains. The common currency was swept higher with Brexit optimism and after China said concrete progress with the US. The USD remains on the back foot.

EUR/USD News

GBP/USD tops 1.30 amid upbeat Brexit developments

GBP/USD has topped 1.30, a fresh five-month high, as parliament is set to debate the detailed Brexit bill, with the EU ready to grant an extension. The DUP is set to reject a customs union amendment.

GBP/USD News

USD/JPY ticks higher, up little around mid-108.00s

The USD/JPY pair edged higher on the first day of a new trading week and is currently placed at session tops, just above mid-108.00s.

USD/JPY News

Top 3 price prediction BTC, ETH, XRP: Building on future profits

The trading week is kicking off with a continuation of the last week's scenario. The consolidation process continues and deepens, especially in the relationship between Ethereum and Bitcoin.

Read more

Gold: Sidelined near $1,490 after PBOC's rate decision

Gold's struggle for clear directional bias continues after the People's Bank of China's (PBOC) interest rate decision. The yellow metal has been restricted largely to a narrow range of $1,500 to $1,480 since last Monday.

Gold News

Forex Majors

Cryptocurrencies

Signatures