- Bitcoin price shows cracks in its bullish ascent, suggesting an imminent sell-off.
- Bearish divergence, combined with other developments on the daily chart, reveals that a 7% to 15% retracement is likely.
- Invalidation of the bearish outlook will occur if BTC produces a daily candlestick close above $24,000.
Bitcoin price has been on a steady uptrend since January 1 and has shown no signs of stopping so far. However, things are starting to change with January 29’s daily candlestick close and could point to an incoming sell-off.
Bitcoin price could crumble soon
Bitcoin price has risen from $16,499 on January 1 to $23,860 on January 29. This ascent constitutes a 45% gain and could be coming to an end due to three reasons.
- Bearish engulfing candlestick: The daily chart shows that January 29 produced a ‘down’ candlestick with a -3.86% return. Since this candlestick completely overshadowed the previous ‘up’ candlestick, a bearish engulfing candlestick is formed. Typically, if this structure forms at the end of a rally, it denotes the start of a retracement or a steep correction.
- RSI Divergence: The bearish engulfing candlestick is not a standalone pattern, with the Relative Strength Index (RSI) also continuing to slip lower since January 14, signaling a declining momentum while the asset continued to soar higher. This non-conformity eventually results in a trend reversal favoring bears.
- Risk line: Lastly, we have the Momentum Reversal Indicator (MRI)’s risk line (blue) that has been breached by the Bitcoin price on the daily time frame. This level is present at $23,000 and is crucial in determining the direction of BTC. A flip of the risk line into a support floor often opens the path for the underlying asset to rally toward the next state trend resistance level, and a breakdown could catalyze a move toward the immediate support barrier.
Due to these bearish factors, Bitcoin price could be preparing for a correction, steep or otherwise. The 50-, 100- and 200-day Exponential Moving Averages (EMA) at $21,211, $19,959 and $19,384, respectively, are immediate support levels. A sudden spike in selling pressure that pushes the largest crypto by market capitalization will send BTC down to these levels.
The breakdown of these support structures will open Bitcoin price to retest the buying climax at $18,199. This level is where the sell-off should subside and provide a perfect opportunity for sidelined buyers to accumulate.
In case of cascading sell orders driven by frenzy bears, the state trend support level (green dotted) at $16,499 will be tagged next.
The most bearish outlook to come out after a 45% ascent would be if Bitcoin price breaches the $16,499 support level and sweeps the equal lows formed at $15,588 to collect the sell-stop liquidity.
BTC/USDT 1-day chart
On the other hand, the Federal Open Meeting Committee (FOMC) Meeting scheduled to take place on February 1 could influence Bitcoin price to continue its ascent. If BTC decides to ignore these blatant bearish signals and produces a higher high above $24,000, it will invalidate the pessimistic outlook.
In such a case, Bitcoin price could attempt to retest the next state trend resistance level (red dotted) at $30,444.
Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of FXStreet nor its advertisers. The author will not be held responsible for information that is found at the end of links posted on this page.
If not otherwise explicitly mentioned in the body of the article, at the time of writing, the author has no position in any stock mentioned in this article and no business relationship with any company mentioned. The author has not received compensation for writing this article, other than from FXStreet.
FXStreet and the author do not provide personalized recommendations. The author makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or suitability of this information. FXStreet and the author will not be liable for any errors, omissions or any losses, injuries or damages arising from this information and its display or use. Errors and omissions excepted.
The author and FXStreet are not registered investment advisors and nothing in this article is intended to be investment advice.
Follow us on Telegram
Stay updated of all the news
Ethereum Layer 2 rat race intensifies, here's how to benefit
The narrative of Ethereum Layer 2 solution token’s is heating up with the shift in focus to altcoins. Bitcoin and Ethereum price rallies grinded to a halt after the recent rate hike announcement by The Fed.
TRON price crashes 12% as SEC charged founder Justin Sun for violating securities laws
TRON price plummeted on March 22 after the cryptocurrency became the new target of the ongoing regulatory crackdown in the United States. The Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) is now looking into Tron founder Justin Sun’s company and related entities of the altcoin’s ecosystem.
ApeCoin price at crossroads, looks to retest February highs amid the alt season but there's a catch
ApeCoin price is at crossroads after trading within a symmetrical triangle on the one-day chart. The altcoin is in a neutral formation reliant on the impending breakout that will determine the direction of the next move. The pattern contains at least two lower highs and two higher lows.
Arbitrum's ARB token goes live, here is what to expect
The Arbitrum ARB governance token airdrop goes live marking the beginning of the Ethereum layer-2 solution’s transition into decentralization. Experts on crypto Twitter have warned airdrop participants of issues that arise in claiming ARB airdrop and shared solutions for the same.
Weekly Recap: Bank runs, stablecoin drama, Voyager bankruptcy hearing, threat to DOX Shiba Inu founder
US bank runs sent shockwaves through market participants, traders turned to Bitcoin and the “safe haven” narrative made a comeback. Binance’s $1 billion acquisition of bankrupt crypto lender Voyager is back on track with a ruling from a New York bankruptcy judge.