International Monetary Fund (IMF) Chief Christine Lagarde crossed the wires in the last minutes, advising the European Commission to simplify the euro zone's fiscal rules and anchoring them to debt.
Key quotes (via Reuters)
- Euro zone budget should include stabilisation function, convergence and competitiveness is not enough.
- Next EU Commission should come up with incentives for countries to pursue structural reforms.
- Euro zone growth has slowed, inflation is low, this requires policy coordination.
- Risks to euro zone include escalation of trade tensions.
- Risks to euro zone economy also includes no-deal Brexit, third risk is lack structural reforms in some countires.
- There is a risk euro zone can slip into prolonged period of low growth, low inflation.
Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of FXStreet nor its advertisers.