Mexico: Banxico likely to leave the policy rate unchanged at 7.50% - Nomura

Benito Berber, Research Analyst at Nomura, suggests that they expect the central bank of Mexico (Banxico) is likely to leave the policy rate unchanged at 7.50% at today’s meeting.

Key Quotes

“If MXN depreciates above 20.50 it may leave Banxico with no option other than to increase its policy rate. That said, we think the rate decision is difficult to assess; thus we assign a 60% probability to the scenario of no change and 40% to the scenario of a 25bp hike to 7.75%.”

“We maintain our stance that Banxico will commence an easing cycle in H2 after NAFTA 2.0 has been approved ‘in principle’ and once the 1 July elections have passed, but acknowledge that in a strong dollar regime it might not have room to ease the policy rate.”

Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility.