USD/MXN dives to seven-year low as risk-on mood underpins MXN, Fed’s decision looms


Share:
  • USD/MXN trades at 17.2807, nearing a seven-year low, as MXN capitalizes on risk-on sentiment.
  • USD/MXN loses nearly 11.32% in 2023 due to the rate difference between US and Mexico’s central banks.
  • Market awaits US CPI data and Fed’s decision, with Banxico’s commitment to restrictive monetary policy underpinning MXN.

USD/MXN continues its way towards plunging below the 17.0000 figure, printing another seven-year low of 17.2402 due to a risk-on impulse that generally boosts risk-sensitive currencies like the Mexican Peso (MXN). Albeit the US Dollar (USD) strengthened vs. most G10 FX, it slipped against the MXN. At the time of writing, the USD/MXN is trading at 17.2807, down 0.01%.

MXN benefits from interest rate differential with the US, while upcoming US inflation data and Fed decision hold sway

There’s an old saying amongst traders that the trend is your friend, and that’s what is happening with the USD/MXN pair. According to Reuters, since the beginning of 2023, the USD/MXN has been losing close to 11.32%, benefitted by the interest rate differential between the United States (US) and Mexico.

The US Federal Reserve (Fed) in the US raised rates by 500 basis points (bps) since March 2022, toward the 5.00%-5.25% range, while the Bank of Mexico (Banxico) lifted rates by 725 basis points since June 2021, towards 11.25%, as inflation began to rise, a consequence Covid-19 pandemic.

On Wednesday, the Fed is expected to hold its main rates reference unchanged amidst a labor market flashing signs of easing, as well as manufacturing and services PMIs, - revealed by the ISM, portrayed an economic slowdown. That increased the likelihood of a recession, hence one of the reasons behind Powell’s decision.

Nevertheless, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) is set to reveal Tuesday’s Consumer Price Index (CPI) for May. Analysts estimate inflation would dip toward 4.1% YoY against the prior’s month reading of 4.9%, while Core CPI, which strips volatile items, is calculated to slow toward 5.3% YoY, vs.  5.5% in April.

Any upward inflation revision could change the Fed’s skipping playbook and rock the boat in the financial markets. Money market futures show a 20% chance of a 25 bps hike on Wednesday, vs. 80% odds for keeping the Federal Funds Rate (FFR) unmoved.

Another factor that underpins the USD/MXN pair is Banxico Governor Jonathan Heath, saying that monetary policy must remain restrictive “as long as possible,” to ensure inflation reaches its target. Heath forward guided the markets, “We want to keep the monetary policy in the restrictive zone for as long as possible — and that’s way more than three decisions,” according to an interview in Bloomberg News.

USD/MXN Price Analysis: Technical outlook

USD/MXN Daily chart

The USD/MXN remains downward biased after reaching new multi-year lows at 17.2402. Although the Relative Strength Index (RSI) remains close to oversold conditions, it is still bearish, suggesting that further downside is expected. That would put the 2016 low of 17.0500 into play, ahead of reaching the 17.0000 figure. Conversely, if USD/MXN buyers reclaim, the psychological 17.50 would put the 20-day EMA up for grabs at around 17.5218 before rallying toward the 50-day EMA at 17.7764.

USD/MXN

Overview
Today last price 17.2873
Today Daily Change 0.0066
Today Daily Change % 0.04
Today daily open 17.2807
 
Trends
Daily SMA20 17.6062
Daily SMA50 17.8325
Daily SMA100 18.1817
Daily SMA200 18.9176
 
Levels
Previous Daily High 17.3893
Previous Daily Low 17.2591
Previous Weekly High 17.5981
Previous Weekly Low 17.2591
Previous Monthly High 18.078
Previous Monthly Low 17.4203
Daily Fibonacci 38.2% 17.3088
Daily Fibonacci 61.8% 17.3396
Daily Pivot Point S1 17.2301
Daily Pivot Point S2 17.1795
Daily Pivot Point S3 17.0999
Daily Pivot Point R1 17.3603
Daily Pivot Point R2 17.4399
Daily Pivot Point R3 17.4905

 

 

Share: Feed news

Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of FXStreet nor its advertisers. The author will not be held responsible for information that is found at the end of links posted on this page.

If not otherwise explicitly mentioned in the body of the article, at the time of writing, the author has no position in any stock mentioned in this article and no business relationship with any company mentioned. The author has not received compensation for writing this article, other than from FXStreet.

FXStreet and the author do not provide personalized recommendations. The author makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or suitability of this information. FXStreet and the author will not be liable for any errors, omissions or any losses, injuries or damages arising from this information and its display or use. Errors and omissions excepted.

The author and FXStreet are not registered investment advisors and nothing in this article is intended to be investment advice.

Follow us on Telegram

Stay updated of all the news

Join Telegram

Recommended content


Follow us on Telegram

Stay updated of all the news

Join Telegram

Recommended content

Editors’ Picks

EUR/USD holds steady near 1.0800 ahead of Fed Minutes

EUR/USD holds steady near 1.0800 ahead of Fed Minutes

EUR/USD fluctuates in a narrow channel at around 1.0800 in the European trading hours on Wednesday after closing the fifth consecutive day in positive territory on Tuesday. The US Dollar stays resilient against its rivals and limits the pair's upside FOMC Minutes.

EUR/USD News

GBP/USD consolidates gains above 1.2600

GBP/USD consolidates gains above 1.2600

GBP/USD consolidates Tuesday's gains and trades above 1.2600 in the European session on Wednesday. The pair struggles to gain traction amid a resurgent US Dollar demand as risk sentiment turns sour. The focus now shifts to the Fed Minutes, BoE- and Fed-speak.

GBP/USD News

Gold stabilizes near $2,030, eyes on FOMC Minutes

Gold stabilizes near $2,030, eyes on FOMC Minutes

Gold clings to marginal daily gains at around $2,030 on Wednesday after closing the first two days of the week in positive territory. The benchmark 10-year US Treasury bond yield edges lower ahead of FOMC Minutes, helping XAU/USD hold its ground.

Gold News

Bitcoin is 23% away from ATHs, but retail is still not here, why?

Bitcoin is 23% away from ATHs, but retail is still not here, why?

Bitcoin’s journey so far has been nothing short of shocking. From ETF approval to countries warming up to crypto regulation, the crypto landscape seems to have changed quite a bit.

Read more

Fed Minutes Preview: Markets to scrutinize comments over timing of interest-rate cuts

Fed Minutes Preview: Markets to scrutinize comments over timing of interest-rate cuts

The Federal Reserve (Fed) will release the minutes of the January policy meeting on Wednesday. Investors will pay close attention to comments regarding the inflation outlook and the possible timing of a policy pivot.

Read more

Forex MAJORS

Cryptocurrencies

Signatures