US: Trump delays tariff hike in a 'gesture of goodwill' – Danske Bank


According to Danske Bank analysts, the main news this week was US President Donald Trump's decision to delay a tariff hike. 

Key Quotes

“In a tweet Wednesday night Trump wrote that 'At the request of the Vice Premier of China, Liu He, and due to the fact that the People's Republic of China will be celebrating their 70th anniversary on October 1st, we have agreed as a gesture of good will, to move the increased Tariffs on 250 Billion Dollars worth of goods (25% to 30%) from October 1st to October 15th'. The day before China had exempted 16 US goods from tariffs, although it was only a very small part worth USD1.6bn out of a total of around USD110bn. In addition, the exemptions did not include the goods where China has the most political leverage on Trump: agricultural goods and autos.”

On Thursday, Bloomberg reported that Trump advisers were considering a so-called interim deal with China that would delay and even roll back some tariffs in exchange for Chinese purchases of agricultural products and commitments on intellectual property rights. Last night Trump said about an interim deal, 'It's something we would consider'.”

While it is positive that the two sides both show the will to create good conditions for the trade talks in October, it does not change the fact that some big hurdles remain , which is why there has been no progress since the break-down in early May. China is not likely to change its 'red lines', which includes a demand that tariffs are rolled back to the starting point and a refusal to make changes to its laws as part of the deal. These are key demands on the US side, as the White House wants a strong enforcement mechanism.”

“However, the fact that there is willingness on both sides to make a deal makes it a close call . An interim deal seems to be a possibility now, although we do not know how China will respond to this. Our baseline is still no deal before the election with a 60% probability, but it does leave a 40% probability of a deal.”

“As we get closer to the US election, Trump could decide to make the necessary compromises to close a deal that includes big Chinese purchases of agricultural goods benefitting voters in swing states of Ohio, Wisconsin and Wisconsin and a big tariff decline on autos, which would give him some tailwind in Michigan, another swing state.”

 

Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of FXStreet nor its advertisers.

Feed news

Latest Forex News

Editors’ Picks

EUR/USD clings to 3.5-week’s high, trades above 1.1000 figure

The pair is challenging the 1.1047 resistance. EUR/USD bull recovery from 34-month lows remains intact. Further coronavirus headlines are awaited.

EUR/USD News

GBP/USD hits new 2020 low and bounces amid Brexit rhetoric, coronavirus headlines

GBP/USD is trading above 1.2800 after hitting a new 2020, nearing the 1.2700 figure, as concerns about a no-trade-deal Brexit are weighing on the pound. Modest recovery seen in USD during the American session keeps the bearish pressure intact.

GBP/USD News

XAU/USD tumbles near two-week’s lows, sub-$1600/oz

Gold has been dropping sharply this Friday while reaching the 200 SMA on the four-hour chart. XAU/USD bulls gave up as sellers took the market down sharply. The bears seem to be in charge and more down could potentially be expected. 

Gold News

WTI remains under pressure around $45.00

Nothing new around crude oil prices, with rising concerns on the Chinese COVID-19 and its potential impact on the economy and the demand for the commodity keeping traders’ sentiment well depressed.

Oil News

FXStreet launches Real-Time Trading Signals

FXStreet Signals offers access to explanatory live webinars, real-time notifications when signals are triggered and exclusive membership to the company’s Telegram group, where users get direct guidance by our analysts and get room to discuss and interact.

More info

Forex MAJORS

Cryptocurrencies

Signatures