Boris Johnson, one of the candidates to succeed British Prime Minister Theresa May, crossed the wires in the last minutes reiterating that he is not aiming for a no-deal Brexit and doesn't want it as the final outcome. None of Johnson's remarks had an impact on the British pound's market valuation. Below are some key quotes as reported by Reuters.
- People will try to find a moment when they've forced me into a gaffe or an error.
- If his comments get people's attention that is not a bad thing.
- I don't want to leave with WTO solution.
- Prophecies of disastrous no-deal Brexit are not accurate.
- Perfectly realistic to get deal by October 31.
- Absolutely crucial to prepare for no-deal.
- Problems of Irish backstop can be solved by having checks away from the border.
- There are ways of doing this that do not require a hard border in Ireland.
- I accept the EU will say we can't accept that about Irish border proposal.
- If we have to get out on no-deal terms then it is our responsibility to prepare for it.
- By preparing for it, we will prevent a no-deal Brexit.
- Would be bizarre to signal that UK government would run up the white flag and delay again.
Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of FXStreet nor its advertisers.