The data released by Australia Bureau of Statistics (ABS) showed the economy added 34.7K jobs in December vs. forecast of 9K. The previous month's print was revised higher to 63.6K from 61.6K. Full-Time employment change came in at 15.1k in December versus 41.9k in November. Meanwhile, the jobless rate rose to 5.5 percent from 5.4 percent.
December Key Points (Source: ABS)
TREND ESTIMATES (MONTHLY CHANGE)
- Employment increased 25,000 to 12,419,800.
- Unemployment increased 100 to 715,000.
- The unemployment rate decreased by less than 0.1 pts to 5.4%.
- Participation rate remained steady at 65.5%.
- Monthly hours worked in all jobs increased 4.0 million hours (0.2%) to 1,738.4 million hours.
SEASONALLY ADJUSTED ESTIMATES (MONTHLY CHANGE)
- Employment increased 34,700 to 12,440,800. Full-time employment increased 15,100 to 8,518,900 and part-time employment increased 19,500 to 3,921,800.
- Unemployment increased 20,500 to 730,600. The number of unemployed persons looking for full-time work increased 9,900 to 501,800 and the number of unemployed persons only looking for part-time work increased 10,600 to 228,800.
- Unemployment rate increased 0.1 pts to 5.5%
- Participation rate increased by 0.2 pts to 65.7%.
- Monthly hours worked in all jobs decreased 4.2 million hours (0.2%) to 1,736.4 million hours.
Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of FXStreet nor its advertisers. The author will not be held responsible for information that is found at the end of links posted on this page.
If not otherwise explicitly mentioned in the body of the article, at the time of writing, the author has no position in any stock mentioned in this article and no business relationship with any company mentioned. The author has not received compensation for writing this article, other than from FXStreet.
FXStreet and the author do not provide personalized recommendations. The author makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or suitability of this information. FXStreet and the author will not be liable for any errors, omissions or any losses, injuries or damages arising from this information and its display or use. Errors and omissions excepted.
The author and FXStreet are not registered investment advisors and nothing in this article is intended to be investment advice.