Asia Market Update: Equity indices trade mixed amid holidays, HK property developers drop after Evergrande’s trading halt; US equity FUTS and USD rise.
- USD/JPY holds above ¥115 amid Japanese holiday.
- WTI Crude FUTs trade modestly higher.
- South Korean bond yields rise on extra budget talk.
- Hang Seng reversed the opening gain.
- Shenzhou International [focuses on knitwear products] said production to be impacted by virus measures in Ningbo.
- XPeng and Li Auto rise after reporting Dec deliveries; Tesla’s Q4 deliveries beat ests.
- Little initial impact seen from better than expected Dec Macau casino revenues.
- Guangzhou R&F debt exchange deadline in focus [Jan 4th].
- Samsung speculated to increase chip investments in 2022, might issue prelim Q4 results on Fri. (Jan 7th).
- ASX 200 closed for holiday.
- (AU) Australia Treasurer Frydenberg: From Sept to Nov added 485K jobs, number of employed +5.7% from pre-pandemic - press.
- (AU) Australia PM Morrison feeling “totally fine” and hasn’t had the need to take a Covid test, after a positive case was detected in his residence.
- Nikkei 225 closed for holiday.
- (JP) Japan said to be planning to invest >¥2.0T in renewables – Nikkei.
- 6758.JP "Spider-Man: No Way Home" top movie in the N. American box office with $52.7M in sales, to date $609.9M.
- Kospi opened +0.7%.
- (KR) South Korea ruling party thought to be seeking KRW30T extra budget - Korean press.
- (KR) South Korea 2021 IPOs totaled KRW20.8T, a record high; the 2022 IPO market expected to be strong – Yonhap.
- (KR) North Korea leader Kim, in his 2022 outline of policy, does not issue specific messages to US or South Korea.
- (KR) South Korea Dec Trade Balance: -$0.6B v $2.3Be; Exports Y/Y: 18.3% v 23.9%e (14th consecutive growth); Imports Y/Y: 37.4% v 40.0%e; 2021 Exports y/y: +25.8% v -5.5% in 2020 (highest since 2010).
- 005930.KR May invest >KRW35.0T into chip business in 2022; invested KRW32.9T in chip facilities in 2020 - Korean press.
- (KR) South Korea President Moon: To enhance support for creation of more private sector jobs and will try to speed up home supplies - New Year's speech.
- Hang Seng opened +0.5%; Shanghai Composite closed for holiday.
- 3333.HK Said to have been told by a local government in Hainan province to dismantle some illegal buildings - press.
- (CN) China property developers have a combined $197B in debt coming due in January - financial press.
- (HK) Macau Dec Casino Rev (MOP) 7.96B v 6.75B prior; Y/Y +1.8% v 0.0% prior; 2021 Casino Rev MOP86.9B, +43.7% y/y.
- (CN) China authorities pledge to resolve food shortages in locked down Xi'an – press.
- (CN) China Ministry of Finance (MOF) cuts 2022 subsidies for new energy vehicles (NEV) by 30% and fully discontinued on Dec 31, 2022; Subsidies for NEVs in public transport will be cut by 20%.
- 2313.HK Notes certain production sites in Beilun District (Ningbo) to be impacted by virus measures.
- (SG) SINGAPORE Q4 ADVANCED GDP Q/Q: 2.6% V 2.1%E; Y/Y: 5.9% V 5.1%E; 2021 GDP Y/Y: 7.2% v 7.1%e.
- (KR) South Korea Dec PMI Manufacturing: 51.9 v 50.9 prior (15th consecutive expansion).
- TSLA Reports Q4 deliveries 308.6K v 266Ke v 241.3K q/q; FY21 deliveries 936.0K v 499.6K y/y.
- NIO Reports Dec deliveries 10.5K +49.7% y/y v 10.9K m/m.
- LI Reports Dec deliveries 14.1K +130% y/y; YTD deliveries 90.5K, +177.4%.
- (US) NIH Fauci: CDC may add covid testing to isolation guidance after getting pushback (update).
- (RU) US President Biden affirms support of Ukraine sovereignty to President Zelensky, US would respond "decisively" to any Ukraine invasion.
- (UK) PM Johnson under increasing pressure to address rising energy prices (incl scrapping green taxes), as an 'emergency' and act on cost of living - UK press.
- (IE) Ireland Dec PMI Manufacturing: 58.3 v 59.9 prior (lowest since Mar 2021).
Levels as of 00:15ET
- Hang Seng -0.6%; Shanghai Composite closed for holiday; Kospi +0.5%; Nikkei225 closed for holiday; ASX 200 closed for holiday.
- Equity Futures: S&P500 +0.4%; Nasdaq100 +0.6%, Dax +0.2%; FTSE100 -0.3%.
- EUR 1.1381-1.1339; JPY 115.31-115.07; AUD 0.7278-0.7240; NZD 0.6857-0.6823.
- Commodity Futures: Gold -0.2% at $1,825/oz; Crude Oil +0.7% at $75.76/brl; Copper -0.5% at $4.44/lb.
All information provided by Trade The News (a product of Trade The News, Inc. "referred to as TTN hereafter") is for informational purposes only. Information provided is not meant as investment advice nor is it a recommendation to Buy or Sell securities. Although information is taken from sources deemed reliable, no guarantees or assurances can be made to the accuracy of any information provided. 1. Information can be inaccurate and/or incomplete 2. Information can be mistakenly re-released or be delayed, 3. Information may be incorrect, misread, misinterpreted or misunderstood 4. Human error is a business risk you are willing to assume 5. Technology can crash or be interrupted without notice 6. Trading decisions are the responsibility of traders, not those providing additional information. Trade The News is not liable (financial and/or non-financial) for any losses that may arise from any information provided by TTN. Trading securities involves a high degree of risk, and financial losses can and do occur on a regular basis and are part of the risk of trading and investing.