Global equities continued to rally ahead of this afternoon ECB meeting during which Mario Draghi should deliver a massive easing package – at least this is what market participants are expecting. As in the prior 6 days, equities went up with futures on the S&P 500 climbing as much as 0.60% to 3,020 points during the Asian morning before retreating towards 3,005. Across the Atlantic, European futures were also better bid with futures on the EuroSTOXX 50 climbing 0.35% to 3,526 points. Similarly, the German DAX futures inched up to 12,393, up 0.35% on the session. Overall, the risk sentiment remains upbeat as trade optimism prevails after both China and the US made a gesture to ease tensions by delaying partially, or completely, tariffs.

 


 

Stay on top of the markets with Swissquote’s News & Analysis

 


 

However, the main event of the main remains the ECB meeting. So far, the market is pricing a 61% chance of 10bps cut to the deposit rate and a 39% chance of a 20bps cut. On the quantitative easing side, it is less clear but monthly purchases of 25bn to 30bn seems the most reasonable option. However, it is worth pointing the board of governors appeared split over the necessity of another round of net asset purchase. As mentioned by certain analyst, the ECB could use trick that would to deliver a massive package while at the same time discounting the total effect of the measure. Indeed, at the moment the ECB is applying negative interest rate to most of the banks’ reserves, unlike the SNB and BoJ. For example, in Switzerland, the SNB applies negative interest to deposit in excess of 20 times the minimum reserve requirement, which means roughly one third of the total deposits are subject to negative rates. This solution has the advantage to make everybody happy: the market has the “new free money” announcement, while the ECB’s hawks are able to trim the real effect of the fresh easing measures QE. Against such a backdrop, it is difficult to say how markets will react, as expectations are sky high.

This report has been prepared by AC Markets and is solely been published for informational purposes and is not to be construed as a solicitation or an offer to buy or sell any currency or any other financial instrument. Views expressed in this report may be subject to change without prior notice and may differ or be contrary to opinions expressed by AC Markets personnel at any given time. ACM is under no obligation to update or keep current the information herein, the report should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment.

Analysis feed

Latest Forex Analysis

Editors’ Picks

EUR/USD struggling to hold onto 1.10 as USD gains ground

EUR/USD is trading close to 1.10, as the US dollar gradually advances. Two White House advisers expressed contradicting accounts of US-Sino trade talks, causing confusion. Germany refrained from adding fiscal stimulus.

EUR/USD News

GBP/USD trades around 1.25 as EU pours cold water on Brexit hopes

GBP/USD is trading around 1.25, off the two-month highs of 1.2582 as EU officials cast doubts about the seriousness of the new UK proposals on Brexit. 

GBP/USD News

USD/JPY drops to one-week lows on trade war headlines

The USD/JPY fell during the American session following reports that the Montana Farm Bureau said China's delegation has canceled a planned trip to view US agriculture.

USD/JPY News

Top 3 price prediction Bitcoin, Ripple, Ethereum: Ethereum points to the Moon as Bitcoin takes a break

ETH/USD exceeds $220 and is bidding to lead the market. Bitcoin sets a bear trap and recaptures $10,000. XRP stalls between technical levels and fails to consolidate $0.30.

Read more

Gold climbs further beyond $1500 mark, lacks follow-through

Gold edged higher for the second consecutive session on Friday, albeit remained well within a familiar trading range held over the past two weeks or so.

Gold News

Forex Majors

Cryptocurrencies

Signatures