Here is what you need to know on Wednesday, September 18:
- Tension is mounting ahead of the Federal Reserve decision later today. Economists expect a 25 basis point rate cut amid slowing global growth and investment. On the other hand, rising inflation, upbeat consumer activity, and the trade detente have triggered a rethink of sorts in bond markets – the odds of a rate reduction have dropped.
- Currency movement has been subdued ahead of the event with EUR/USD trading below 1.11 and GBP/USD below 1.25.
- Oil prices have been consolidating their losses after Saudi Arabia announced it is able to restore a substantial part of its lost oil production.
- UK inflation figures are projected to show a decrease in headline Consumer Price Index. Canadian CPI is also projected to retreat. US building permits and housing starts are projected to hover around previous levels.
- Cryptocurrencies: Ethereum and Ripple have been extending their gains as the Altcoin segment surges and while Bitcoin stagnates just above $10,000.
Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility.