Jane Foley, Senior FX Strategist at Rabobank, lists down the IMM Net Speculators’ Positioning as at 30 August 2016.
- “For the first time in nine weeks bearish bets against the pound edged lower encouraged by the better tone of recent UK data releases. That said, the level of outstanding net short positions remains very large by historical standards.
- EUR shorts bounced higher last week having dropped during the previous four weeks. The current level of shorts is around double that of late April.
- USD longs edged a little lower last week following the Jackson Hole event. US longs are currently at their lowest level since mid-July.
- Net JPY longs increased last week for a fifth consecutive week. Although the yen has recently firmed in reaction to concerns that BoJ policy action may be reaching the end of the road, hope is re-emerging that BoJ easing may be extended at the September policy meeting.
- CAD net longs bounced higher week. Despite looser fiscal policy, the market has become less certain that BoC rates will remain on hold into 2017.
- The level of AUD longs was little changed. The carry trade continues to lend support despite the recent RBA rate cut.”
Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of FXStreet nor its advertisers. The author will not be held responsible for information that is found at the end of links posted on this page.
If not otherwise explicitly mentioned in the body of the article, at the time of writing, the author has no position in any stock mentioned in this article and no business relationship with any company mentioned. The author has not received compensation for writing this article, other than from FXStreet.
FXStreet and the author do not provide personalized recommendations. The author makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or suitability of this information. FXStreet and the author will not be liable for any errors, omissions or any losses, injuries or damages arising from this information and its display or use. Errors and omissions excepted.
The author and FXStreet are not registered investment advisors and nothing in this article is intended to be investment advice.