Following the Bank of Canada's decision to keep the overnight rate target unchanged at 1.75%, Governor Stephen S. Poloz, and Senior Deputy Governor Carolyn A. Wilkins are delivering their remarks on the monetary policy outlook with key quotes, via Reuters, found below.
- Monetary policy needs to maintain a degree of accommodation sufficient to offset various headwinds until the economic outlook improves.
- Economy has slowed and some excess capacity has re-emerged, although this excess capacity is not generalized across the entire economy.
- If recent slowdown in economy persists, then we would foresee inflation trending below target in the future; we believe slowdown of growth to a below-potential pace will prove to be temporary.
- Limited access to markets for Canadian crude remains a significant source of drag and uncertainty.
- Foubts about the ratification of new North American trade treaty remain a downside risk to our investment outlook.
- There is good reason to believe that the economy will pick up in the second half of the year.
Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility.