• The AUD/USD record gains of more than 130 pips and eyes the 100-DMA at 0.7260.
  • The Fed raised 50bps to the Federal Funds Rates (FFR) and would begin its QT on June 1.
  • Fed’s Chair Powell emphasized that 75-bps increases are not something the Fed is considering.

The AUD/USD is rallying sharply and jumped from 0.7090s to 0.7230s after the Federal Reserve decided to raise rates by 50 bps and announced the start of the Quantitative Tightening (QT) on June 1, as the US central bank aims to trim its $8.9 trillion balance sheet. At around 0.7220s, the AUD/USD reflects investors’ sentiment as Fed Chair Jerome Powell speaks.

So far, the Fed’s policy decision seems to be perceived as hawkish, as Fed money markets futures are pricing in a 77% chance of a 50-bp hike at the June meeting and a 23% chance of a 75-bp increase.

At his press conference, Fed Chair Powell said that 75-bp increases are not something the Fed is considering, and they are not actively considering it. He added that “if we see what we expect to see,” 50-bp increases would be“on the table” at the following couple of FOMC meetings.

Remarks of the Fed’s decision

The Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) revealed in its monetary policy statement that inflation is “expected to return to its 2% objective” and expressed that high prices reflect supply and demand imbalances related to the Covid-19 pandemic. The central bank reiterated that it would remain “attentive to inflation risks.”

Also, the US central bank acknowledged the negative print in Q1’s GDP and said that “household spending and business fixed investment remained strong.”

Concerning the balance sheet reduct, the Fed will begin the Quantitative Tightening (QT) program on June 1 at a slower pace than estimated. The central bank would reduce its balance sheet by $47.5 billion for the first three months. The initial cap of US Treasuries would be $30 billion, while $17.5 billion of mortgage-backed securities (MBS). After three months, the QT will hit $60 billion in US Treasuries and $30 billion on MBS.

AUD/USD Market’s reaction

The AUD/USD immediately surged above the R1 daily pivot at 0.7150, rallying sharply towards the R3 pivot point around 0.7250, and is pairing last week’s losses. At the time of writing, the AUD/USD is shy of the daily highs, around 0.7220s.

Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of FXStreet nor its advertisers. The author will not be held responsible for information that is found at the end of links posted on this page.

If not otherwise explicitly mentioned in the body of the article, at the time of writing, the author has no position in any stock mentioned in this article and no business relationship with any company mentioned. The author has not received compensation for writing this article, other than from FXStreet.

FXStreet and the author do not provide personalized recommendations. The author makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or suitability of this information. FXStreet and the author will not be liable for any errors, omissions or any losses, injuries or damages arising from this information and its display or use. Errors and omissions excepted.

The author and FXStreet are not registered investment advisors and nothing in this article is intended to be investment advice.

Feed news Join Telegram

Recommended content


Recommended content

Editors’ Picks

AUD/USD bounces from 0.6850 as China's PMIs return to expansion

AUD/USD bounces from 0.6850 as China's PMIs return to expansion

AUD/USD is bouncing from the 0.6850 area, as bulls find support from the expansion reported in the Chinese NBS PMIs. The US dollar clings to recent gains amid a cautious market mood, awaiting the critical US PCE inflation. 

AUD/USD News

USD/JPY advances towards 137.00 amid firmer DXY and mixed Japan data

USD/JPY advances towards 137.00 amid firmer DXY and mixed Japan data

The USD/JPY pair is aiming to recapture its fresh 23-year high around 137.00 as the DXY has strengthened on hawkish commentary from Fed chair Jerome Powell. Japan’s mixed Industrial production data has weakened the yen bulls further.

USD/JPY News

Gold stays on the way to $1,807 support ahead of US PCE inflation

Gold stays on the way to $1,807 support ahead of US PCE inflation

Gold Price struggles to defend the previous day’s bounce off short-term key support during Thursday’s Asian session. In doing so, the yellow metal remains indecisive around $1,818. The yellow metal dropped to the lowest levels in two weeks the previous day.

Gold News

Polygon's MATIC price signals hard times to come, here's why

Polygon's MATIC price signals hard times to come, here's why
Polygon’s MATIC price signals bears have re-entered the market. If the profit-taking continues, a cataclysmic fall could occur to breach the $0.31 low
Read more

FXStreet Premium users exceed expectations

FXStreet Premium users exceed expectations

Tap into our 20 years Forex trading experience and get ahead of the markets. Maximize our actionable content, be part of our community, and chat with our experts. Join FXStreet Premium today!

BECOME PREMIUM

Forex MAJORS

Cryptocurrencies

Signatures