The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) data released today showed consumption as represented by the retail sales remained flat in September. Retail sales came-in at 0.0% m/m vs. 0.4% expected and -0.5% previous.
- The trend estimate was relatively unchanged (0.0%) in September 2017 following a relatively unchanged estimate (0.0%) in August 2017 and a relatively unchanged estimate (0.0%) in July 2017.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate was relatively unchanged (0.0%) in September 2017. This follows a fall of 0.5% in August 2017 and a fall of 0.3% in July 2017.
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 2.0% in September 2017 compared with September 2016.
- The following industries fell in trend terms in September 2017: Household goods retailing (-0.5%), Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (-0.1%) and Department stores (-0.1%). Food retailing rose (0.1%) and Other retailing (0.0%) and Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (0.0%) were relatively unchanged in trend terms in September 2017.
- The following states and territories fell in trend terms in September 2017: Victoria (-0.1%), Western Australia (-0.3%), South Australia (-0.1%), the Australian Capital Territory (-0.2%), the Northern Territory (-0.2%), and Tasmania (-0.1%). New South Wales rose (0.1%) and Queensland (0.0%) was relatively unchanged in trend terms.
- In volume terms, the trend estimate for Australian turnover rose (0.6%) in the September quarter 2017.
Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of FXStreet nor its advertisers. The author will not be held responsible for information that is found at the end of links posted on this page.
If not otherwise explicitly mentioned in the body of the article, at the time of writing, the author has no position in any stock mentioned in this article and no business relationship with any company mentioned. The author has not received compensation for writing this article, other than from FXStreet.
FXStreet and the author do not provide personalized recommendations. The author makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or suitability of this information. FXStreet and the author will not be liable for any errors, omissions or any losses, injuries or damages arising from this information and its display or use. Errors and omissions excepted.
The author and FXStreet are not registered investment advisors and nothing in this article is intended to be investment advice.