• US Core CPI has come out at 0.6% in August, double the early expectations. 
  • Dollar gains are set to continue amid Fed's "quiet period" which adds to the uncertainty.
  • Expectations for a 100 bps hike seem exaggerated but are unlikely to stop the dollar. 

Like Ukraine's tactics, so has the the price at the pump diverted attention from everything else – and everything else is rising in price. The Core Consumer Price Index has shocked markets with a leap of 0.6% in August vs. 0.3% expected and 0.3% last month. That dip in July proved to be a one-off, Sliding gasoline prices have only lowered headline annual inflation, but that is not what matters to Wall Street. 

Markets had been pricing a "pivot" from the Federal Reserve – a 75 bps hike in September before materially slowing down, "tapering down" rate hikes. That is out of question now, as prices soar. The fact that headline inflation moderated to 8.3% from 8.5% last month may or may not help President Joe Biden, but markets only care about core CPI and the Fed. 

The dollar soared across the board, with EUR/USD tumbling some 150 pips, GBP/USD nearly 200, while USD/JPY leaped over 250. Stocks went from trending higher to trending lower and gold melted by $30 bucks as 10-year yields march toward 3.50%. 

The slide in the dollar proved to be a correction, but will it gain more ground from here? Inflation serves as a reset to the market's narrative and more gains are on the cards – yet it is unlikely to be a one-way street. Some profit-taking is likely before the trend resumes. 

One of the reasons to expect further advances for the world's reserve currency stems from the Federal Reserve's quiet period. Officials refrain from speaking to the public in the ten days leading to their meetings. The next one is on September 21. Such silence is defeating for markets, which hate uncertainty. 

Nick Timiraos – the Wall Street Journal's reporter with ties at the Fed – is the only one who could break the silence. If he reports that the bank is leaning toward a 100 bps move, the dollar could gain even more ground. Bond markets are reflecting an 84% chance of a 75 bps hike, and only 16% of a 100-bps hike. From here, Timiraos can only push the greenback higher.

Assuming the Fed sticks to a third triple-dose hike of 75 bps – which is aggressive in its own right – the greenback would still remain the leader, with dips only serving as buying opportunities. US Retail Sales and the University of Michigan's inflation expectations data are of interest, but only the Fed decision could compete with inflation figures for market moves of such magnitude. 

King Dollar is alive and kicking.

Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of FXStreet nor its advertisers. The author will not be held responsible for information that is found at the end of links posted on this page.

If not otherwise explicitly mentioned in the body of the article, at the time of writing, the author has no position in any stock mentioned in this article and no business relationship with any company mentioned. The author has not received compensation for writing this article, other than from FXStreet.

FXStreet and the author do not provide personalized recommendations. The author makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or suitability of this information. FXStreet and the author will not be liable for any errors, omissions or any losses, injuries or damages arising from this information and its display or use. Errors and omissions excepted.

The author and FXStreet are not registered investment advisors and nothing in this article is intended to be investment advice.

Feed news Join Telegram

Recommended Content


Recommended Content

Editors’ Picks

AUD/USD fades recovery moves above 0.6700 ahead of RBA Bulletin, Australia Trade Balance

AUD/USD fades recovery moves above 0.6700 ahead of RBA Bulletin, Australia Trade Balance

AUD/USD struggles to defend the latest bullish impulse around 0.6725-30, after bouncing off a one-week low the previous day, as traders await updates/data from Australia during early Thursday.

AUD/USD News

EUR/USD grinds higher past 1.0500 with eyes on ECB President Lagarde

EUR/USD grinds higher past 1.0500 with eyes on ECB President Lagarde

EUR/USD struggles to defend the previous day’s corrective bounce around 1.0510-15 during Thursday’s Asian session. In doing so, the major currency pair portrays the market’s inaction amid a light calendar and mixed sentiment.

EUR/USD News

Gold eyes further upside on downbeat United States Treasury bond yields

Gold eyes further upside on downbeat United States Treasury bond yields

Gold price seesaws around $1,785, after posting the biggest daily gains in a week, as buyers seek more clues to approach the five-month top marked earlier in the week. The yellow metal’s latest run-up could be linked to the downbeat performance of the United States Treasury bond yields.

Gold News

Binance’s US arm eliminating trading fees for ETH means this for Ethereum price

Binance’s US arm eliminating trading fees for ETH means this for Ethereum price

Binance has managed to cement itself in the crypto space as a leader over the last couple of weeks. Following FTX’s collapse, the world’s biggest cryptocurrency exchange has been attempting to regain its customers’ trust and confidence.

Read more

What happens after the Fed reaches the terminal rate

What happens after the Fed reaches the terminal rate

The discrepancy starts to show. What will the Fed do? For now, the Fed is raising rates to stave off inflation, and are expected to level out at around 5.0%. 

Read more

Majors

Cryptocurrencies

Signatures