• British pound has been outperforming its major rivals since the start of the week.
  • Markets are pricing in 70% probability of a BoE rate hike by the end of the year.
  • 1.3800 and 1.3850 align as the next targets for GBP/USD.

The GBP/USD pair closed the fourth straight trading day in the positive territory on Monday and has managed to preserve its bullish momentum during the European trading hours on Tuesday.

As investors remain focused on the Bank of England's (BoE) policy outlook in the absence of Brexit-related developments, the British pound continues to outperform its rivals. At the time of press, GBP/USD was trading at its highest level in a month a tad below 1.3800.

Over the weekend, BoE Governor Andrew Bailey argued that they will have to act to contain inflation and inflation expectations.

Reflecting the impact of this comment on rate hike expectations, the 2-year UK gilt yield gained more than 20% on a daily basis. Furthermore, the CME Group's BoEWatch Tool now shows that markets are pricing in a 52.2% probability of a 25 basis points rate hike by the end of the year and a 17.9% chance of a 50 basis points hike. The odds of the BoE leaving the target rate unchanged is currently 29.9%.

 

Source: cmegroup.com

Meanwhile, the broad-based selling pressure surrounding the greenback is providing an additional boost to GBP/USD on Tuesday. The US Dollar Index is currently trading at multi-week lows near 93.60 pressured by a 1% decline in the benchmark 10-year US Treasury bond yield.

US stock index futures are up between 0.2% and 0.3%, suggesting that the dollar could have a difficult time attracting investors if risk flows continue to dominate the financial markets in the second half of the day.

Later in the session, September Building Permits and Housing Starts data will be featured in the US economic docket but investors are likely to pay little to no attention to these readings.

GBP/USD technical analysis

GBP/USD continues to trade within the ascending regression channel coming from late September. Currently, the pair is testing the upper limit of this channel and the Relative Strength Index (RSI) indicator on the four-hour chart is staying near 70, suggesting that a technical correction could be seen before additional gains.

The last time the RSI rose above 70 on October 15, GBP/USD corrected toward the middle line of the ascending channel. At the moment, this line is located at 1.3760, forming the initial support there before 1.3730 (20-period SMA, lower line of the channel) and 1.3700 (psychological level, 200-period SMA).

On the upside, the first resistance could be seen at 1.3800 (static level, psychological level) before 1.3850 (static level).

Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of FXStreet nor its advertisers. The author will not be held responsible for information that is found at the end of links posted on this page.

If not otherwise explicitly mentioned in the body of the article, at the time of writing, the author has no position in any stock mentioned in this article and no business relationship with any company mentioned. The author has not received compensation for writing this article, other than from FXStreet.

FXStreet and the author do not provide personalized recommendations. The author makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or suitability of this information. FXStreet and the author will not be liable for any errors, omissions or any losses, injuries or damages arising from this information and its display or use. Errors and omissions excepted.

The author and FXStreet are not registered investment advisors and nothing in this article is intended to be investment advice.

Feed news Join Telegram

Recommended Content


Recommended Content

Editors’ Picks

EUR/USD eases below 1.0450 as USD firms up amid light trading

EUR/USD eases below 1.0450 as USD firms up amid light trading

EUR/USD remains pressured below 1.0450, fading Friday’s rebound, as the US dollar sees fresh demand amid a cautious market mood and light trading conditions. Recession fears and Fed-ECB policy contrast will keep favoring the dollar. Eurozone Sentix eyed. 

EUR/USD News

GBP/USD hovers around 1.2100 amid fresh UK political jitters

GBP/USD hovers around 1.2100 amid fresh UK political jitters

GBP/USD licks its wounds around 1.2100, as investors stalk the US dollar amid growing growth fears. Another attempt to oust UK PNM Johnson and looming Brexit woes keep the upside elusive in cable. Thinner liquidity conditions will prevail amid the US holiday. 

GBP/USD News

Gold: Death cross to ring knell for XAUUSD, as eyes turn to Fed Minutes

Gold: Death cross to ring knell for XAUUSD, as eyes turn to Fed Minutes

Gold Price defends minor recovery gains above $1,800 amid US holiday. Growth fears strengthen the US dollar, despite the recent sell-off in yields. XAUUSD awaits death cross confirmation to resume the downtrend below $1,800.

Gold News

Cardano’s Vasil hard fork launches on testnet positioning ADA price for a breakout

Cardano’s Vasil hard fork launches on testnet positioning ADA price for a breakout

Cardano price is at a point in its journey where things could go either way. As ADA consolidates above a stable support level, things could turn ugly if it breaks or bullish if it bounces. Therefore, investors need to be careful with their decision.

Read more

FXStreet Premium users exceed expectations

FXStreet Premium users exceed expectations

Tap into our 20 years Forex trading experience and get ahead of the markets. Maximize our actionable content, be part of our community, and chat with our experts. Join FXStreet Premium today!

BECOME PREMIUM

Majors

Cryptocurrencies

Signatures