After a rough week for equity investors and despite the fact that the level of fear remain elevated, some stability has return to financial markets. Equity futures are inching their way in positive territory as implied volatility measures slowly decrease. The German DAX is up 0.75%, the EuroSTOXX 50 0.85% and the FTSE hasn’t opened yet as the LSE took unscheduled holidays (technical issue). Safe haven assets are edging lower with the yellow metal sliding towards the $1,500 level. In the FX market, the Swiss franc and the Japanese yen are down 0.23% and 0.05% against the greenback to 0.9788 and 106.15, respectively. Finally, Bitcoin is currently fighting to maintain itself above the rising trend line that supported the rally initiated in May this year and currently trades around $9,890.

The single currency continued to move lower following ECB’s Rehn comments to the Wall Street Journal where he declared that the ECB is preparing “a very strong package” that should include both additional bond purchase and a cut in interest rates. He added that “When you’re working with financial markets, it’s often better to overshoot than undershoot, and better to have a very strong package of policy measures than to tinker,” You’ll be warned, the ECB is in for the kill and bond yields will have no chance. For now, investors are expecting a cut of 0.1%, currently at -0.5%, and the restart of the quantitative program with €50bn per month of bond purchase. However, that was before Mr. Rehn comments. Now, the market is pricing a 60% chance of a 20bps cut and 40% of a 10bps cut. In addition, it wouldn’t be surprising if the ECB extend the scope of its QE by buying different assets such as… stocks. However, it is more likely that the ECB would end up extending the limit of 33% of issued amount outstanding per country.


 

Stay on top of the markets with Swissquote’s News & Analysis

 


Across the Atlantic, investors already started to look towards Jackson Hole, where the Fed’s annual symposium will be held between 22 and 24 August. Market participants will be keen to get fresh hints from Jerome Powell regarding the FOMC thinking ahead of the mid-September meeting. We believe that the Fed Chair wouldn’t miss the occasion to take a dovish stance, just like all the other central banks across the globe. Is QE4 on its way?

This report has been prepared by AC Markets and is solely been published for informational purposes and is not to be construed as a solicitation or an offer to buy or sell any currency or any other financial instrument. Views expressed in this report may be subject to change without prior notice and may differ or be contrary to opinions expressed by AC Markets personnel at any given time. ACM is under no obligation to update or keep current the information herein, the report should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment.

Analysis feed

Latest Forex Analysis

Editors’ Picks

EUR/USD trades around 1.1100 amid the Italian crisis, ahead of Fed minutes

EUR/USD is trading around 1.1100, in familiar ranges. Italian President Mattarella will explore if a new government can be formed after PM Conte resigned. The FOMC Minutes are eyed later in the day.

EUR/USD News

GBP/USD leans lower ahead of the Johnson-Merkel meeting

GBP/USD is trading below 1.2150, losing some ground. UK PM Johnson will meet German Chancellor Merkel in Berlin after the latter called for finding practical solutions on the Irish backstop.

GBP/USD News

USD/JPY: Bulls re-take 106.50 amid higher S&P futures, Treasury yields

Following a temporary reversal seen on Tuesday, the USD/JPY pair resumes the bullish momentum in Wednesday's Asian trading and regains the 106.50 level, tracking the gains in the US Treasury yields and S&P 500 futures. 

USD/JPY News

Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ripple, Ethereum: Critical technical levels cryptos need to overcome after the summer slide

Late August is vacation time in the northern hemisphere – and cryptocurrency bulls may be at the beach as well. Tuesday's slide in prices lacks clear triggers and perhaps shows some fatigue or profit-taking.

Read more

Gold rebounds above $1,500, remains stuck in tight range

After closing the previous day at $1,506, the XAU/USD pair edged lower on Wednesday as the recovering market sentiment made it difficult for the precious metal to find demand as a safe-haven.

Gold News

Majors

Cryptocurrencies

Signatures