1. JANUARY MARKETS
2. UP STARS/DOWN STARS
3. GOLDEN OPPORTUNITIES
5. ON THE WEB
6. MARKET RESEARCH
1. Earnings Season Kicks Off With Big Banks
The odds favor markets will be in bargain hunting mode short term and continue to rally. However, we repeat:
Unlike 2018, Markets in 2019 will NOT be easy to forecast - requiring both a longer investment horizon AND a shorter trading one!
WE ALSO BELIEVE US MARKETS WILL CLOSE HIGHER IN 2019 than 2018! Additionally,
We expect it to TRADE ABOVE ITS 2017 CLOSE & ADVISE
Be defensive H1 2019 (esp. Q2); Be more aggressive H2 2019.
Our 2019 recommendations:
- Be Selective - Stock Picking will outperform Index Investing
- We continue to recommend trailing profit stops and hedging, raising cash and/or writing calls to promote sound sleep.
- New trades & investments best in Long/Short Pairs in H1 2019
Three concerns we are watching closely are:
- The market’s short term reaction to trade wars;
- China Internal & External response to its 2019 Saturn influence;
- The January & May FOMC meeting anticipation & reactions.
WE THINK MARKETS WILL REACT POSITIVELY NEAR TERM, BUT THERE IS CONSIDERABLE RISK WITH SUCH A BET.
HENCE WE ADVISE INVESTORS TO BE LARGELY CONSERVATIVE & DEFENSIVE, ESPECIALLY Q2 2019.
TIPS ~ 110
IMHO “Improper” Valuations
DJIA < 24719
US 10 Year Bond <2.75
OIL < 55
COPPER < 3.20
BITCOIN > 2500
GOLD < 1375
SILVER < 18
January is potentially an up month but also with potential major hiccups: given a positive US economy [1.8%+ growth] but a mixed horoscope for President Trump in H1 2019.
DJIA, NASDAQ & SPX can rally again as THE US TRADE WARS ARE WON and especially if the FED relaxes it now seems more willing to do!
Remember our Trading Plan: Not to short aggressively before May 2019.
Sell Oil 73.50/Buy Copper 2.95
Oil unwound 68.00 Resold 72.50 Unwind 64 Long 50
Sell Oil 74.00/Buy Copper 2.83
Oil unwound 66.20 Resell 74 Unwind 66 Long 50.50
Sell Oil 73.33/Buy Copper 2.75
Oil unwound 68.20 Resell 76 Unwind 68.65 Long 46 Sold 52
Buy Gold 1188/Sell BTC 6380
Buy Gold 1182/Sell BTC 6650
Buy Gold 1196 /Sell BTC 7370
Long Copper 2.70/Short BTC 6666
HYDE PARK SOAPBOX: Who’s right — the bulls or the bears? The answer is that it shouldn’t matter
KEY DATES: January 14,17, 20/21
DJIA: Trading Target 24719
SPX: Trading Target 2673
NASDAQ: R1 6903 Achieved
GOLD: R1 1300 R2 1325 R3 1350
SILVER: R1 15.50 R2 16 R3 18
OIL: R1 50 R2 55 R3 58 R4 60
COPPER: STEADY ACCUMULATE: H2 2018-2019 à3.50+
US 10 year Intentionally left blank
BITCOIN: 4200 RESISTANCE S1 3800 S2 3600 S3 3000 S4 2500
The Market Marker remains some cautious concern.
2018 CLOSE: DJIA 23327 SPX 2506 & NASDAQ 6635
2017 CLOSE: DJIA 24719 SPX 2673 & NASDAQ 6903
2016 CLOSE: DJIA 19762 SPX 2238 & NASDAQ 5383
AFUND Fair Value: GOLD $1370
THINK TRADITIONAL SWISS AND PRESERVE CAPITAL: HEDGE AND PROTECT AGAINST DOWNSIDE RISK
2. We plan to do little this week awaiting the market’s reaction to corporate earnings and progress of CHINA Trade talks.
3. We continue to recommend Maximum Allocation to precious and base metal investments for the intermediate and long term, given that the precious metal sector and copper are obviously very undervalued!
Now with lesser headwinds from US interest rates rising as well as less competition from MMJ & Bitcoin “investors”.
A $1350 ($1400) target test in 2019 is now closer to reality and we are happy to see our friends at Goldman Sachs give it a $1425 price target. Still, we advise patient precious metal investors to pay attention to stock selection as a slowly rising tide does not float all boats equally.
· Gold remains cheap geopolitical crisis insurance.
· For investors who cannot or will not buy the $US currency as well as investors who wish to safely and cheaply hedge their US$ exposure, ONLY GOLD IS AS GOOD AS GOLD!
Gold FV $1368 = Commodity FV: 1340 + Currency FV: 1368 + Inflation Metal FV: 1368 + Crisis FV: 1400.
Gold/Silver ratio à 75 Silver FV $18+.
INVESTORS: We plan to stay LONG in 2019 (recommending a precious metal sector hold rating and only hedging and/or selling Q2 or profit taking).
We remain disinclined to short or sell until gold is overvalued e.g. $1416-1450. For silver, our first selling numbers remain $19+.
However, shorter term, after the Chinese New Year, some hedging or profit taking/protection will not be unwarranted.
4. “Bitcoin’s attempted rebound was rebuffed at $4k resistance and so far traders seem more inclined to sell the bounce than buy the rebound. These things form sharp, V-bottoms when they go too far. BTC’s lethargic rebound tells us we still haven’t reached oversold levels yet. Until further notice, every bounce is still a selling opportunity.”
Jani Ziedins, analyst, Cracked Market
HW: We agree the smart money will be most often be playing bitcoin from the short-side.
“In short, we believe that the crash of 2018 mirrors the mid-life crisis seen during the middle of bull markets a la 1962 and 1987 and in both bases, the bull market found its footing at the 200-week moving average. That is currently [S&P 500] 2,350 or so. And both midlife crises saw a retest at that level. Is a retest in 2019 possible? Yes, but if so, we would view that as a buying opportunity.”
Tom Lee, Head of Research, Fundstrat
HW: Yes likely coming in Q2 2019.
“Overall, inflation risks remain well in check and are well down the list of potential concerns for both the capital markets and the economy. That bodes well for 2019 if the Fed can slow the pace of rate hikes or pause outright.”
Jim Baird, chief investment officer, Plante Moran Financial Advisors
5. Investors want private, not public, markets — BlackRock
The trillion-dollar giants that set alarm bells ringing
China's stock market expects 600 bln yuan inflow this year
6. Volatility – An Investable Asset Class
7. THIS LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
The Astrologers Fund (AFUND) is not a registered broker dealer, CTA or a registered investment advisor. Past performance does not ensure future results, and there is no assurance that any of the Astrologers Fund's recommendations achieve their investment objectives. The Astrologers Fund Inc. makes no claims concerning the validity of the information provided herein, and will not be held liable for any use thereof. If you are dissatisfied with the information found on this website, your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue use of the information. No information or opinion expressed here is a solicitation to buy or sell securities, bonds, futures or options. Opinions expressed are not recommendations for any particular investor to purchase or sell any particular security or financial instrument, or that any security or financial instrument is suitable for any particular investor. Each investor should determine whether a particular security or financial instrument is suitable based on the investor's individual investment objectives, other security holdings, financial situation and needs, and tax status. Past performance is not indicative of future results. Contact The Astrologers Fund, Inc. 310 Lexington Avenue Suite #3G, New York, N.Y. 10016 Email email@example.com 212 949 7275 Twitter@tafund