|

US: Treasury lacks conviction in the strong USD policy - Rabobank

Jane Foley, Senior FX Strategist at Rabobank, explains that several commentators have argued that the US Treasury’s strong USD policy is well beyond its sell by date and President Trump makes no secret of the fact that he would favour a weaker USD in his quest to resort the US trade balance to health.

Key Quotes

 “A strong currency protects wealth.  It is also a desirable asset in the fight against inflation.  In recent years fears about disinflation and deflation have resulted in circumstances in which weak currencies have been favoured by many policy makers around the globe.  The result has been a focus on currency wars.  That said, for the past couple of decades the official policy preference of the US Treasury through successive administrations has been for a strong USD.  It was initiated in a period when US inflation rates were noticeably higher than current levels and the USD was trading at very weak levels vs. the JPY. Due to soft inflationary pressures in recent years, little reference was made to this policy by the previous administration.” 

“Recent comments by US Treasury Secretary Mnuchin in an FT interview confirm that he is reluctant to completely give up on the strong USD policy.  He remarked that “over long periods of time the strength of the dollar is a good thing” since “it’s a function of the confidence and the strength of the US economy.  However, these remarks came with a caveat.  Mnuchin stated his allegiance with the President’s view by remarking that “over short period of time the strength of the dollar creates certain issues that hurt our exports”.  In short, the Treasury lacks conviction in the strong USD policy but is keeping its options open.”

Author

Sandeep Kanihama

Sandeep Kanihama

FXStreet Contributor

Sandeep Kanihama is an FX Editor and Analyst with FXstreet having principally focus area on Asia and European markets with commodity, currency and equities coverage. He is stationed in the Indian capital city of Delhi.

More from Sandeep Kanihama
Share:

Editor's Picks

GBP/USD off highs, back to 1.3620

GBP/USD remains slightly on the defensive at the end of the week, receding to the low 1.3600s after hitting fresh tops past 1.3670 earlier in the day. Cable’s correction comes after two daily gains in a row and amid a tepid advance in the Greenback, while poor UK data also accompany the downside.

EUR/USD treads water below 1.1700

EUR/USD now trades with modest losses around 1.1670 following another unsuccessful atempt to advance past 1.1700 the figure in a convincing fashion. The pair’s decline follows a maginal rebound in the US Dollar as market participants continue to assess recent US data as well as developments from the US bond market.

Gold trims gains, recedes to the sub-$4,600 area

Gold rapidly leaves behind Thursday’s inconclusive price action and advances markedly on Friday, briefly surpassing the $4,600 mark per troy ounce to hit three-month peaks. Meanwhile, the precious metal’s solid performance comes despite marginal gains in the buck coupled with another day of rising US Treasury yields across the curve.

Crypto Today: Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP bulls accelerate rally amid rising ETF inflows

The cryptocurrency market remains bullish on Friday, led by Bitcoin’s surge above $77,000. Altcoins, including Ethereum and Ripple, mirror BTC’s positive outlook, trading near $2,400 and $1.35, respectively.

Week ahead – Fed’s Jackson Hole and Nvidia earnings to dictate markets

Kevin Warsh to make his Jackson Hole debut amid confusing messaging. But a major hawkish surprise unlikely after bond market intervention. Nvidia earnings to also determine market direction as stock rally cools.

$20 billion offered, $2 billion taken: Why Treasury doubled its buyback cap

The US Treasury moved off its own calendar on Wednesday, and that is the part worth sitting with. At 12:32 GMT, the department said it would at least double the size of liquidity support buyback operations in the 10-year to 20-year and 20-year to 30-year sectors, lifting the maximum from $2 billion per operation to at least $4 billion, effective September 9 and running to November 4.