The move follows the FCA's announcement that Binance cannot conduct regulated activities in the country.
- "With effect from today, Barclays intends to stop credit and debit card payments to Binance," Barclays said in an email to CoinDesk. "This action does not impact on the ability for customers to withdraw funds from Binance."
- Barclays has been contacting customers who have used their cards on Binance this year advising them that the bank is stopping payments until further notice, according to tweets.
- The decision follows shortly after the U.K. Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) announced that Binance was not allowed to conduct any regulated activities in the country.
- Regulators other markets including Japan and Canada have offered similar warnings in recent weeks, with one in Thailand even threatening criminal charges.
- Binance had not responded to CoinDesk's request for comment by press time.
All writers’ opinions are their own and do not constitute financial advice in any way whatsoever. Nothing published by CoinDesk constitutes an investment recommendation, nor should any data or Content published by CoinDesk be relied upon for any investment activities. CoinDesk strongly recommends that you perform your own independent research and/or speak with a qualified investment professional before making any financial decisions.