|

Gold price forecast: Does $4,200 hold? Everything else depends on it

  • Gold dropped about 2% in Asia and is testing $4,200, a level that has held for eight weeks.
  • The dollar sits near 101 and the 10-year yield is above 5%. Both are still working against gold.
  • My map is simple: sell a confirmed break of $4,200, or wait for a bounce to $4,300. Nothing in between.

The only question that matters today

Gold opened the week by falling straight into $4,200. Every plan I have for London starts with whether that level breaks, holds, or fakes a break. This gold price forecast is built around those three outcomes, because the answer changes the trade completely.

What happened since Friday

Last Bias: Bearish | Confidence: Medium.

Friday’s call was to sell a London bounce into $4,300–4,316 and target $4,250. Gold did the job: it made a fresh weekly low below $4,250 that day. On Friday it tried to recover but couldn't get back above $4,300, and it closed the week under that line. The ceiling I flagged held all week, and gold has now fallen through the target I set.

Why it matters

The Fed hiked to 3.75–4.00% on September 16, and 16 of its 18 policymakers expect at least one more hike this year. Markets put the odds of an October move at roughly 66–70%. The 10-year yield touched 5.23% last week, its highest since 2007, and it's back around 5.20% this morning. When bonds pay that much, a metal that pays nothing gets harder to own.

The dollar tells the same story. The US Dollar Index hit about 101.40 on Thursday, a three-month high, and it's holding near 100.85. Vantage has support at 100.59. As long as the dollar stays above it, gold gets no help from the currency side.

Then there's what didn't happen. Over the weekend the Houthis attacked Saudi Arabia, and Trump rejected Iran's offer to reopen the Strait of Hormuz. Oil rose. That's the kind of news that used to lift gold on a Monday. Instead it fell more than 6% from its mid-September high above $4,430. Rates are in charge.

The map

If London...

Then...

I...

Bounces back into $4,200–4,250 and fails there

The old floor is now a ceiling

Sell the failed bounce

Keeps falling with no bounce

Sellers are still in control, but it's late to join

Don't chase. Wait for a pause and a bounce

Climbs back above $4,250 and holds

The break was a trap

Stand aside. $4,300 comes back into play

If the bounce fails

This is the trade I want. The zone between $4,200 and $4,250 held gold up for weeks, and the buyers who defended it are now underwater. When price comes back there, many of them sell to get out. I'm looking for price to stall in that zone and then break a recent low on the 15-minute chart. I enter only after a 5-minute candle fully closes. The first target is $4,130, and $4,000 is the big one if the selling runs. I need the US Dollar Index above 100.59 and the 10-year above 5%.

If It Just Keeps Falling

The hardest thing today is not selling. Price is already moving fast, and selling into a fall that's already more than 6% deep puts the stop far away and the risk in the wrong place. If gold slides straight to $4,130 with no bounce, I let it go. There will be another retest.

If It Climbs Back Above $4,250

A break that can't hold is often a trap. If London pushes back above $4,250 and a 1-hour candle closes there, anyone who sold the break is caught, and the squeeze can run toward $4,300 quickly. I stand aside and reassess near $4,300, where the 100-day moving average sits.

The levels

Level

What it is

$4,300

100-day moving average, and last week's ceiling

$4,240–4,250

Broken hourly floor and the 61.8% retracement: the top of the sell zone

$4,200

The eight-week floor that broke today: the bottom of the sell zone

~$4,196

Where gold is trading now

$4,130

First target

$4,000

Round number and structural floor

The calendar

ForexFactory had its filters off, so impact colours didn't show. None of today's events is a red folder, and nothing US-side lands during London.

Event

Currency

Time (ET / PHT)

Forecast

Previous

BoE's Ramsden Speaks

GBP

6:00 AM / 6:00 PM

—

—

Fed's Bowman Speaks

USD

8:15 AM / 8:15 PM

—

—

ECB's Lagarde Speaks

EUR

9:30 AM / 9:30 PM

—

—

The real events come later in the week: US PCE inflation on Wednesday and US jobs data on Friday at 8:30 PM PHT. Today is a level test, not a data trade.

The real events come later in the week: US PCE inflation on Wednesday and US jobs data on Friday at 8:30 PM PHT. Today is about the break, not the data.

Where I could be wrong

After a fall this steep, a sharp bounce can come at any time. If it comes with the dollar slipping below 100.59, the main reason to sell weakens. An Iran headline could also finally bring buyers back into gold as a safe haven.

The bigger risk sits later in the week. Markets are pricing another hike into a jobs report forecast at just +90,000, with unemployment at 4.1%. A weak number would make an October hike harder to justify, and gold could reverse hard. I don't want to hold a short into Friday's print.

My line in the sand is a 1-hour close back above $4,250. If that happens, I stand aside rather than turn buyer.

Verdict

Bearish, Medium Conviction. The floor broke and the dollar and yields are still against gold, but price is stretched. I'll only sell a failed bounce into $4,200–4,250. No entries in the first 15 minutes of London (3:00–3:15 PM PHT), and no chasing the drop.

Author

Jasper Osita

Jasper Osita

Independent Analyst

Jasper has been in the markets since 2019 trading currencies, indices and commodities like Gold. His approach in the market is heavily accompanied by technical analysis, trading Smart Money Concepts (SMC) with fundamentals in mind.

More from Jasper Osita
Share:

Editor's Picks

AUD/USD defends 0.7000 ahead of RBA on Tuesday

AUD/USD is defending 0.7000 at the start of a new week, trading near its lowest level since August 4 amid a bullish US Dollar. US yields hold near multi-year highs amid inflation risks from higher oil prices and rising bets on an October Fed rate hike. This, along with the US-Iran standoff, continues to underpin the safe-haven buck and weigh on the pair ahead of Tuesday's RBA policy announcements.

USD/JPY climbs back toward 158.00 after BoJ minutes amid firm USD

USD/JPY finds dip-buyers and reverses part of Friday's slide driven by speculation that authorities will step in again to prop up the Japanese Yen. However, the BoJ's dovish Minutes cap the JPY. Meanwhile, the US Dollar regains traction as the US-Iran standoff supports crude oil prices, fueling inflation fears and reaffirming bets for an October Fed rate hike. This further supports the pair, driving it back toward 158.00.

Gold sheds 2.5% and approaches $4,150 on renewed US-Iran risks

Gold is falling hard at the start of a new week, approaching $4,150 for the first time in eight weeks. Firming October Fed rate-hike bets, along with oil-driven inflation risks, keep US bond yields elevated near multi-year highs, helping the US Dollar hold firm, particularly after Trump rejected Iran's truce offer. These factors weigh heavily on the bullion.

Cardano: Rally pauses as mixed metrics flag caution

Cardano shows signs of consolidation, trading below $0.260 after an 11% gain the previous week. Mixed derivatives and on-chain metrics point to caution among traders. Meanwhile, the technical outlook suggests bullish sentiment remains, but ADA’s near-term direction remains uncertain. Derivatives data shows a mixed and cautious outlook among Cardano traders.

The US treasury and the German yields sustain higher

The Dollar index has dipped after testing resistance and could dip for the next few sessions while Euro can rise from here. USDJPY has dipped below 158 and is headed towards 157/156 while EURJPY can trade within 181-178 region for the near term. USDINR has mild scope of testing 95.50 while below 96 but looks eventually bullish for a rise.

Fed vs BoJ: Both hiked. The market only believes one of them – and the chart shows which

The Fed and the BoJ have just done something remarkably similar. Both central banks raised interest rates by 25 bps last week, both are confronting inflation risks, and both signal that future decisions will depend on incoming economic data.