|

US – Fed preview: A divided hold

  • We expect the Federal Reserve to remain on hold in the July meeting, in line with consensus. Markets price in 20-25% probability for a hike.   
  • Without new projections or forward guidance from Warsh, the focus will be on the vote split. We think the most likely outcome is 2-4 votes in favour of a hike.
  • We forecast 25bp hikes in December and March, with risks skewed towards an earlier start. We recommend remaining short EUR/USD spot going into next week's meeting.

The first month after Kevin Warsh's debut at the FOMC's June meeting has brought mixed signals on the inflation front. On one hand, the re-escalation of the war in Iran has lifted energy prices higher again. Yet on the other hand, Warsh's hawkish comments have already lifted real rates, supported broad USD and tightened financial conditions while realized inflation surprised to the downside in June.

Assuming Warsh sticks with only limited forward guidance, the meeting could leave markets with little to digest aside from the rate decision itself. In the June 'dots', 6 participants saw at least two hikes this year. We see a chance for 2-4 votes in favour of a hike already in July. Aside from Warsh, regional Fed hawks Logan, Hammack and Kashkari have appeared open to tightening policy at a relatively early stage. Governor Waller warned before the June CPI release that if core inflation was 'hot', FOMC would need to consider tightening policy in the near-term. However, we think that the broadly lower-than-expected reading eased the need for rapid tightening.

Looking further ahead, we assess that Bowman, Jefferson and Cook could eventually tilt the balance towards hiking in the later meetings. Williams, Daly, Paulson and Barr have not signalled an imminent bias towards hiking, while Powell has (intentionally) remained on the backlines when it comes to communication.

Back in May, we laid out the three main arguments for tightening policy: the AI-capex boom, more supportive fiscal impulse and re-tightening labour market balance. We still think these will justify hiking rates twice, in December and March, but elevated energy prices skew the balance of risks towards an earlier start. Markets price in 5-6bp worth of hike probability for next week, 36bp by year-end and 47bp by March.

Last week, we recommended a tactical short EUR/USD spot position ahead of the July rate decision(s). We see an asymmetric outcome space around the meeting, where a unanimous hold would not materially affect hike expectations in later meetings, but a surprise hike or a close-call split decision could drive a hawkish repricing of USD real rates and support broad USD FX. 

Download The Full Research US

Author

Danske Research Team

Danske Research Team

Danske Bank A/S

Research is part of Danske Bank Markets and operate as Danske Bank's research department. The department monitors financial markets and economic trends of relevance to Danske Bank Markets and its clients.

More from Danske Research Team
Share:

Editor's Picks

AUD/USD consolidates above 0.7000; remains close to monthly top

AUD/USD holds steady above 0.7000 during the Asian session on Friday, trading just below the previous day's monthly low amid diverging forces. A hawkish RBA continues to support the Aussie, while the recent decline in US bond yields keeps the US Dollar depressed near a three-week low. However, oil-driven inflation fears reinforce Fed hike bets, which, along with geopolitical risks, could benefit the safe-haven buck and cap the currency pair.

USD/JPY bounces off one-month low; climbs to 157.00 amid reviving USD demand

USD/JPY rebounds from the 156.00 neighborhood, or a one-month low touched during Friday’s Asian session, with bulls looking to extend momentum beyond 157.00 amid the emergence of some US Dollar buying. Meanwhile, Japan's National CPI rose to a nine-month peak and reaffirmed BoJ rate-hike bets, which could support the Japanese Yen and cap gains for the currency pair.

Gold holds above $4,000/three-month low as Fed hike bets and firm USD cap upside

Gold struggles to capitalize on its modest recovery from levels below the $4,000 psychological mark, or a three-month low set earlier this Friday, and retains a bearish tone through the first half of the European session. Federal Reserve officials recently signaled there is no urgency to raise interest rates. Traders, however, are still pricing in around an 80% chance that the US central bank will raise borrowing costs again at its December policy meeting.

Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Ripple rebound as major support levels cap recent sell-off

Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple rebound modestly on Friday after correcting and testing their key support zone the previous day. BTC holds the 50-day EMA, ETH finds support around the 100-day EMA, while XRP holds the horizontal floor near $1.300. The price action of these top three cryptocurrencies suggests a recovery if this critical support zone holds; a decisive close below these levels suggests a deeper correction.

The week ahead – UK budget, Shell, BP and HSBC and NatWest results
Financial markets have undergone another turbulent week with concerns about public sector debt levels, the impact of energy policy and higher oil and gas prices, and what events in France might mean for the UK economy going forward.
What November 3 means for the Fed's rate path and the US Dollar

The USD faces a decisive period ahead of the November 3 midterm elections. While markets anticipate another interest rate increase from the Fed in December, the battle for control of Congress could reshape fiscal policy expectations and, indirectly, the path of US monetary policy in 2027.