USD/JPY: Tokyo bulls sticking to the northerly road map ahead of US CPI


  • USD/JPY: holds above the hourly cloud 
  • USD/JPY: geopolitics take a back seat ahead of US CPI and the Fed next week. 

The dollar was on the backfoot overnight as Trump called out other nation's currencies as undervalued in a tweet where he said, the euro “and other currencies are devalued against the dollar,” calling out the Fed for holding interest rates “way too high”. The USD/JPY pair initially rose to 108.80 but then fell to 108.50, to just above the hourly cloud. 

Then, on the geopolitical front, there appears to be some let up in the angst this week so far, with things seemingly moving forward between Mexico and the U.S. Traders are sitting on their hands ahead of the G20 meeting later this month where Xi and Trump are supposedly scheduled to meet for dinner and trash out their outstanding trade issues, where otherwise, should a deal not materialise, Trump has threatened to go ahead with additional tariffs. 

Markets are still pricing in an 80% chance of a Fed fund rate cut by July

U.S. yields have been a little higher overnight with the US 10yr treasury yield initially rising from 2.14% to 2.17% while 2yr yields climbed from 1.89% to 1.93%. Markets are still pricing in an 80% chance of a Fed fund rate cut by July, with a total of three cuts priced by May 2020. However, some observers expect the Fed to cut rates as soon as this meeting around and today's CPI is going to be market moving no matter the outcome considering the steaks involved for the dollar and the Fed

"The US data focus is May CPI. While the Fed formally targets the personal consumption expenditures (PCE) deflator – 1.5%yr overall, 1.6%yr core in April – Chair Powell has also pointed to other measures at times. Given the heated debate over potential Fed rate cuts, CPI could be market-moving. Consensus is 0.1%mth, 1.9%yr overall, 0.2%mth, 2.1%yr ex-food & energy. This measure tends to run faster than PCE,"

analysts at Westpac explained. 

USD/JPY levels

Valeria Bednarik, the Chief analyst at FXStreet explained that technical indicators in the 4 hours chart offer a slightly positive stance, as the price holds above its 20 SMA, which have lost its bullish strength, while the Momentum indicator points north and the RSI remains flat above its midline. USD/JPY needs a break above the 108.80 zone (top of its weekly range) to challenge next resistance area around 109.10 (100-SMA in 4H) en route to 109.80 (200-SMA in 4H). The risk will turn to the downside only with a break below 107.90, which could accelerate losses toward 107.50.

Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Markets and instruments profiled on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these assets. You should do your own thorough research before making any investment decisions. FXStreet does not in any way guarantee that this information is free from mistakes, errors, or material misstatements. It also does not guarantee that this information is of a timely nature. Investing in Open Markets involves a great deal of risk, including the loss of all or a portion of your investment, as well as emotional distress. All risks, losses and costs associated with investing, including total loss of principal, are your responsibility.

Feed news

Latest Forex News

Editors’ Picks

EUR/USD extends its gains toward 1.1300 after the dovish Fed decision

EUR/USD has extended its gains after the Fed opened the door to cutting interest rates, stating that uncertainties have increased. Markets are awaiting EU leaders to divvy up top jobs.

EUR/USD News

GBP/USD holds onto gains after retail sales, ahead of the BOE

GBP/USD has extended its gains above 1.2700 after the Fed opened the door to rate cuts. UK retail sales fell by 0.5% in May as expected. The BOE's decision and two more rounds of the Conservative contest await traders.

GBP/USD News

USD/JPY rebounds from multi-month lows, continues to trade below 108

Fed's dovish shift continues to weigh on the greenback. 10-year US Treasury bond yield plummets to lowest level since November 2016. Wall Street looks to open sharply higher on Thursday.

USD/JPY News

Gold eases from multi-year tops, still well bid near $1380 level

Gold built on the post-FOMC upsurge and rallied to near six-year tops during the Asian session on Thursday, albeit retreated a bit thereafter.

Gold News

FOMC: Prelude to a rate cut?

The Federal Reserve added little new to its policy prescript in Wednesday’s FOMC statement and economic projections and with the anticipation for a July rate cut long priced into market levels the reaction was decidedly uninvolved.

Read more

Majors

Cryptocurrencies

Signatures